People are living longer than ever before, and many seniors live active and healthy lives. However, as we age, our bodies and minds change. There are things you can do to stay healthy and active as you age, and it is important to understand what to expect. This category includes news on the biology of aging, demographics, continuity of care, quality of life, care needs, longevity and lifestyle.
Seniors and Aging
- Increased muscle power may prolong life April 21, 2019
A first-of-its-kind study finds that increased muscle power, rather than muscle strength, can significantly prolong life for seniors.
- Could this brain stimulation technique reverse memory decline? April 18, 2019
New research examines the effect of a noninvasive brain stimulation technique called transcranial magnetic stimulation on age-related memory decline.
- People are living longer despite care inequalities April 12, 2019
A new report from the World Health Organization (WHO) examines global life expectancies and access to health services across the world.
- Syncing brain waves may fight age-related memory problems April 8, 2019
Working memory tends to decline with age, and this problem is characterized by poor synchronicity between brain regions. Can researchers 'fix' this issue?
- How does oxidative stress affect the body? April 3, 2019
Oxidative stress can damage cells and occurs when there is an excess of free radicals. The body produces free radicals during normal metabolic processes but also produces antioxidants to neutralize th …
- How 1 hour of brisk walking can benefit people with osteoarthritis April 1, 2019
A new study investigates the impact of 1 weekly hour of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity on disability in people with knee osteoarthritis.
- Dark spots on the skin: Causes and how to treat them March 29, 2019
Dark spots on the skin are usually the result of hyperpigmentation. They are usually harmless. In this article, we look at the symptoms, causes, and treatments for dark spots on the skin.
- Smoking may not be related to dementia risk after all March 28, 2019
Study of 531 cognitively healthy older adults over 11.5 years finds no link between smoking and dementia after accounting for 'competing risk' of death.
- Knee osteoarthritis: A low-carb diet may relieve symptoms March 27, 2019
A new study compares the effects of a low-carb diet with those of a regular diet and a low-fat diet on knee osteoarthritis in older adults.
- The key to brain health: Light but frequent exercise March 25, 2019
New research shows that light and moderate exercise benefits the brain both immediately and in the long run, providing a person is active frequently.